News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.5K     0 
News   Apr 01, 2020
 4.3K     0 
News   Apr 01, 2020
 1.3K     0 

Vancouver Evergreen Line

The tunnel trackbed (2 tracks) is being formed by placing aggregate aggregate to form a base, then pouring a concrete slab.
Cement trucks were being hoisted into the tunnel pit, which then reversed down the length of the tunnel to delivery their loads.
Eventually a vertical wall will be built to separate the northbound and southbound tracks.

SOSS;7297354 said:
Latest Evergreen advisory. This explains the mini aggregate stockpiles at the north portal.

Ongoing Tunnel Construction near Seaview Drive

Boring of the two-kilometre tunnel for the Evergreen Line was completed in late November and construction of the concrete base within the tunnel is underway in Port Moody near Seaview Drive.

A concrete base is being constructed to support the Evergreen Line guideway inside the two-kilometre tunnel. Crews are currently placing gravel fill inside the tunnel working from the south to the north end. Once the gravel is in place crews will pour the concrete base.

The next step is building the wall that separates the in-bound and out-bound trains. This will be followed by the installation of utilities, trackwork and power systems.

Link

SOSS;7317474 said:
At the north portal it looks like the temporary aggregate pit has been removed so I guess the gravel base in the tunnel is complete.

AMTDGT;7318174 said:
The trucks were removed a couple of days ago. Today they were lifting cement trucks into the tunnel entrance and the trucks were backing up the tunnel the same way the gravel trucks were.

Xrayal;7319268 said:
Here are some links to photos from Grant Mattice's Flickr photo stream. They are really informative and interesting.
North Portal Tunnel by Grant Mattice, on Flickr

Helping Hand by Grant Mattice, on Flickr

Heavy Lift by Grant Mattice, on Flickr

Quick question, what happens to the Millennium Line after this opens?

My understanding is that the Evergreen Line will have its own color on the map along with its own wayfinding, but this is despite it being an extension of the Millennium Line. And the segment of the line between Loughead and Columbia Station becomes part of the Expo line.

Along these lines, I also see that the UBC Line is being floated around as simultaneously an extension from Clark Station and as a distinct Line with it's own wayfinding.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, I am trying to familiarize myself with Vancouver transit system. :)

Last edited:
The routing is best shown on this pic from the 2014 Annual Report.

In essence, the current Millennium Line will short-turn/terminate at Production Way - it will become a "branch" of the Expo Line (shown in blue) (the same way the Canada Line has 2 branches (a "split tail")).
(The branch goes to Production Way instead of stopping at Lougheed Station, because Production Way is a major destination for Simon Fraser University students, and terminating at Lougheed Station would have caused many passengers to transfer for just one stop. Eventually when frequency increases, the trains will likely have to terminate at Lougheed Station since Lougheed Station has a siding to facilitate short-turns).

The "Millennium Line" (shown in yellow) will run from Lafarge Lake Douglas to VCC.

officedweller;6597870 said:

The new wayfinding signs in the new stations does show overlapping green on the Millennium Line's yellow:

dpogue;7293247 said:
There was a media tour of Burquitlam and Moody Central stations today. These are some of the images posted to Twitter.

CYOfjjiUMAAeMbX.jpg:large

Wayfinding signage at Burquitlam, photo from https://twitter.com/SusanLazaruk/status/685567001620647936

From SSP:

officedweller;7325049 said:
Circumventing the tunnel - a test train is moved on flatbed to the Vehicle Service Facility (near Falcon Drive) in Coquitlam:

12647194_1117812608265242_254104386294078926_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/evergreenline

A couple of new bulletins on testing and commissioning in Port Moody and Coquitlam:

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/Testing-and-Commissioning.htm

SpongeG;7331808 said:
from the evergreen facebook page:

Here’s a picture of the first test train on the Evergreen alignment in Port Moody. The train is travelling from Inlet Centre Station to Moody Centre Station. For more information about testing and commissioning, please visit: http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/documents/InformationSheets/160128_EGL_Infosheet_TestingAndCommissioning_Port Moody.pdf

12742085_1120895111290325_4333271804633748450_n.jpg

Last edited:
From SSP:

urbancanadian;7339773 said:

Here are a couple photos I took of Coquitlam's project to rebuild Pinetree Way before the Evergreen Line opens. It's progressing quickly, and should really bring some cohesion to the corridor.
25005918801_4e4e007061_b.jpg

24981045792_965048b137_b.jpg

This block is mostly complete. Note the somewhat separated bike lane. I don't think the black fencing was really necessary though.
24472349753_54207bc4c4_b.jpg

Quick shot of Coquitlam Central Station.
24472347403_4cfd892557_b.jpg

From SSP:
Images of platform signage at Lougheed Station.

sweetnhappy;7348304 said:

Flickr linked via VanCityBuzz - 2015-12-01 - Jeffrey Ngai
This confirms that Platform 3 will be used for Millennium Line trains to Lafarge Lake-Douglas.

Taken by me - 2016-02-24
Note the mention of Expo Line being available by exiting the platform - this confirms the Expo Line will run on at least one (but mostly likely both) of Platforms 1 and 2.

The history is that the line was originally just an extension of the Millennium Line - i.e. Phase 2.
Then, to cut costs, TransLink changed the technology to LRT (not SkyTrain).
Since an LRT wouldn't be part of the Millennium Line, it was given a separate name:
.............The Evergreen Line (the name of a cultural centre in Coquitlam).
The Province changed the line back to SkyTrain - but the Evergreen Line name stuck.
... and now its political - the municipal leaders don't want their local branding taken away from them,
so "Evergreen Line" has quietly become "Evergreen Extension".
Some local politicians are likely up in arms over that minor change.

From SSP:

officedweller;7359630 said:
From the webcam today - the floor of the trackbed/guideway seems to have reached the portal(?)
(i.e. is that rebar on the gravel bed?)

imagehandler.ashx

http://wcs.pbaeng.com/projects/R1_Transit

Vantage;7363921 said:
Lincoln Station looks close to completion as well.
umqacKRh.jpg

Note the sign displaying when the next train will arrive and its destination.
--------

J2NwjKoh.jpg

I wonder if the have the same signs on the platform and not just this one in the station house.

Last edited:
The history is that the line was originally just an extension of the Millennium Line - i.e. Phase 2.
Then, to cut costs, TransLink changed the technology to LRT (not SkyTrain).
Since an LRT wouldn't be part of the Millennium Line, it was given a separate name:
.............The Evergreen Line (the name of a cultural centre in Coquitlam).
The Province changed the line back to SkyTrain - but the Evergreen Line name stuck.
... and now its political - the municipal leaders don't want their local branding taken away from them,
so "Evergreen Line" has quietly become "Evergreen Extension".
Some local politicians are likely up in arms over that minor change.
Thanks. That actually explains it perfectly!

Back