Senakw Development | ?m | 56s | Squamish Nation | Revery Architecture

Squamish Nation development to expand downtown Vancouver's footprint

252674945-senakw_2-w.jpg

A residential development proposed by the Squamish First Nation for band-owned lands in Kitsilano will bring downtown-style density to a relatively low-rise community.

The $3-billion Senakw project will consist of 6,000 mostly rental units in 11 towers on a five-hectare parcel at the western foot of the Burrard Bridge. The tallest tower is expected to be 56 storeys, a shade shorter than Shangri-La and the Trump Tower, just across the bridge from the downtown peninsula.

As the downtown Vancouver residential community has expanded from the West End, through Yaletown and into False Creek, the density has changed dramatically as part of the evolution of the area, according to Squamish Coun. Khelsilem.

[resize=800]
252674949-senakw_4_facade_option_1-s.jpg
[/resize]

senakw_1.jpg

“The Squamish development is a very special case because it’s on reserve land,” he said. “This is a very special case and we’re treating it as such.”

The Squamish planning group has briefed Vancouver city staff on the vision for Senakw and hopes to tap into their expertise as the project moves forward, especially concerning public consultation. But that consultation on Senakw will have a historical context attached.

“This is a government doing a project that has a particular history of injustice in the removal of our ancestors in 1913, who were evicted by the provincial government at the request of the Vancouver parks board and the City of Vancouver,” said Khelsilem.

Because the project is on First Nations land, the city has little power to influence the scale and form of the development, nor is the project subject to municipal zoning.

senakw_5_facade_option_1_closeup.jpg

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...pment-to-expand-downtown-vancouvers-footprint

This is awesome! I'm looking forward to this getting built fast.
Also, queue the Kitsilano NIMBY's (mostly old and white) opposing the project on the grounds of traffic, local character, and lack of community consultation.

This is awesome! I'm looking forward to this getting built fast.
Also, queue the Kitsilano NIMBY's (mostly old and white) opposing the project on the grounds of traffic, local character, and lack of community consultation.
Also the ubiquitous 'parking' you can bet there'll be some loud opposition. Hope this goes ahead.

Don't forget this project is in the first nation property, so they can basically go right ahead to build it and the city of Vancouver would have no say on it. I just hope they would have proposed to build a 1,000 ft tall tower just to piss off those mountains view cones supporters. :D

Don't forget this project is in the first nation property, so they can basically go right ahead to build it and the city of Vancouver would have no say on it. I just hope they would have proposed to build a 1,000 ft tall tower just to piss off those mountains view cones supporters. :D
They can build whatever they want and the city has no say, but I suppose the city could say, sorry can't connect our roads, sewer pipes etc.. to you r development what would happen? Not that it would ever get that far, but you have to wonder.

Nah, the Vancouver mayor loves this project and even said this is a golden gift from the band to Vancouver, so he won't stop it and he can't anyway. Also if the band can afford 3 billions to spend on this project, they can pay the city double the money for all the things you've mentioned.

I was expecting negativity to the project, I mean it is Vancouver after all. Excellent to see this kind of positive feedback.

Yeah, lots of people won't like this huge project, but again its in the first nation land and they can do whatever they want but I believe they might scale down the size and height a bit to go half way with the city.

Best thing to do if you're Squamish first nation is start large, going way over what you need, and then make it look like you're compromising down to something decent.

Back