Aquilini Centre South | ?m | 31s | Aquilini | Francl Architecture

anonymous0024

Member Bio
Reaction score
2nd phase of the Aqulini Centre towers surrounding the Rogers Arena. Phase two is the South tower, which will be a 31 storey market rental building. 250 units, and 5 levels of underground parking, per this construction update. B+H were the architects behind the first phase (west), so pretty certain they are here as well.

Render from the project website:
AC_residential-hero-v4.jpg

Thanks for the update, @mcminsen ! This building will be really close to the elevated highway, though! I wonder if this will impact traffic during construction?

Thanks for the update, @mcminsen ! This building will be really close to the elevated highway, though! I wonder if this will impact traffic during construction?

Yes, it is a bit cozy between the roads but I don't think it will be a problem. The west tower of Aquilini Centre/Rogers Arena was built in an even tighter space and right next to the viaduct.

Aquilini Centre South, Oct.30 '15, my pic

Yes, Vancouver city council recently voted to tear down the viaducts. It's been in the works for a long time but it's complicated. No sooner had the city made it's decision to tear them down then Todd Stone (BC Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure) said not so fast. The land around BC Place Stadium is owned by the province.

The developers of the towers probably didn't want to continue to wait for it to be sorted out. I'm thinking they came up with designs that could work if the viaducts remain or if they are removed. It's a real puzzle right now that will be interesting to watch over the next few years.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2015/10/27/vancouver-council-votes-to-demolish-viaducts.html

http://www.bcbusiness.ca/manufacturing-transport/tear-down-the-viaducts-not-so-fast-says-todd-stone

The elevator core is growing. It will probably have to be well established before they finish putting up a thick forest of scaffolding to hold the forms for the first floorplate. Talk about a balancing act!

Nov.8 '15, my pic

Back