News   Apr 01, 2020
 4.3K     0 
News   Apr 01, 2020
 1.2K     0 

Vancouver's Canada Line

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
Alright, someone explain this to me: I saw a south heading CN Freight Train in York Region carrying Four Sky Train Cars for the new Canada Line, any idea why these cars would be heading into Toronto? As I thought these where being built solely in Thunder Bay....

They are being manufactured in Korea, by ROTEM, a division of Hyundai.

The Vancouver Sky Train cars are built in Vancouver at a Bombardier factory connected directly to the network. Its located next to the main SkyTrain depot.

Still, it is very odd to see them in Ontario. You would expect them to be shipped straight across the Pacific..

Are you sure they where cars for the Canada Line? not the regular Sky Train cars, their is a difference between them.

I have heard of Vancouver sky train cars being made in thunder bay as well as in vancouver, but the new canada line cars are made in korea.

If you saw them in york region, then maybe they where cars made in thunder bay for another city.

Ah, you may be right, as they where white come to think of it, and had Skytrain righten on it, my mistake. But they clearly where in the Skytrain's livery.

Point of reference:

Canada Line ROTEM train (Built in Korea)
800px-Canada_Line_Skytrain_Cars-2008-04-22.JPG

Skytrain Bombardier Mk-II ICTS
800px-Skytrain-overpass.jpg

A number of Skytrain MKII cars have been ordered and supposed to be in service in 2009 - not sure of delivery dates.

It is not known whether the Canada Line will be branded "Skytrain" since it is being operated by the private contractor, InTransitBC. The cars are not marked "Skytrain".

BAH! Why do we have to be governed by Luddite loosers?

Insane line-ups for free rides - line at Waterfront Station - 3 hours to get in (whereas other stations outside of downtown hardly had line-ups. The station entrance is inside the red brick building in the background (and the lines does some switchbacks around the plaza before going in) - the stations box itself is under the street in the foreground.

crowds.jpg

Full opening day coverage at Buzzer Blog:

http://buzzer.translink.ca

Last edited:
Great news, its come a long way from the gaping hole in Granville Street that it was two years ago.

Back