Burrard Place | 167.63m | 54s | Reliance Properties | IBI Group

That's great news, this is an exciting project.
The smallest building of this complex somewhat reminds me of the IAC building by Frank Gehry, on 10th Avenue in New York. The curves, I guess.

Still no change to the site since I posted those last pics on October 20th, last year. Except they did tear down a small white cinderblock building on Hornby Street.

What really intrigues me are the two century old houses that are still standing with a huge old Maple tree in front (see pics below). Those kinds of houses are almost completely gone now from this downtown area of Vancouver but the neighbourhood used to be full of them, all clustered in cheek by jowl. The developer offered them for free to anyone who wanted to have them as long as they moved them from the site. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen now and I expect that the houses will be demolished and the tree cut down.

There was one lucky young guy that rented and lived in one of the houses for almost seven years for cheap rent. A few years ago I noticed that he had made a little patio on the empty bramble covered lot next door and they had some pretty good summer BBQ parties. Imagine living in a funky old house for cheap rent with your own little green space… right in the middle of downtown. See link to National Post story and video below.

There was also an effort to save the big old tree but I don't think it was successful. I wish there had been some foresight to save the tree and renovate the old houses and build the complex around them but I guess it would have been too expensive for the developer. At least we have the pictures and the memories.

National Post story and video:
You can have two downtown Vancouver houses for free - if you can move them

CBC News story about tree:
New Vancouver condo tower knocking out beloved neighbourhood tree

heritagehouses-1.jpg

Source: National Post

July 26 '15, my pic

May 25 '15, my pic

Jan.8 '16, my pics

Last edited:
Interesting story! It would be nice to retain those funky houses on the site, as it helps anchor a neighbourhood and keep a trace of the past... although they look like they need extensive renos.

Rather than being bulldozed in a day and hauled off to the dump, the old houses are being slowly and methodically disassembled. Whatever can be salvaged and reused won't go to the dump and anything that is environmentally unfriendly is dealt with properly.

June 6 '16, my pics

Back