400 West Georgia Street | 91.74m | 24s | Westbank | Merrick Architecture

Similar to Calgary. There were some older buildings built using steel frame, and then everything seemed to go to concrete for a while. There still seems to be a toss up though, as some of the recent buildings have been concrete and some steel. Most of the office towers (EAP, Brookfield Place, 707-5th and The Bow) have been steel with concrete core. The Bow was entirely steel.

IIRC steel in NA has flopped flopped between China and the US for the past decade or two. At times then the cost of oil was high US mills were producing a lot of it. Maybe it's something to do with that?
I always assumed that steel was more expensive to use in Vancouver since there aren't any local steel mills.
That said, some older buildings are steel frame -
#rd Hotel Vancouver
Old Main Post Office
TD Tower and the other older buildings at Pacific Centre (but that could be an eastern bias as it was built by Fairview Corporation (predecessor to Cadillac Fairview).

That is indeed the case. I have some friends in the U.S who work at steel mill , and for the past couple of decades the cycle has been the same.....price of oil goes up and it becomes more expensive to ship from China, next the mills start back up, when oil is cheap they shut down.
If cost of oil was high, maybe transport from China became too expensive?

20191004_170134.jpg

20191004_170831.jpg
20191004_170835.jpg
20191004_170846.jpg

Cantilever pieces being installed - they don't seem to angle out much (yet?)

Pics by me today:

Q7zpRbx.jpg

abtjMsi.jpg

VE1Qvo9.jpg

and some earlier pics by McMinsen at SSP:

mcminsen;8736439 said:
Some crazy looking pieces of steel (pics 4-7).

Oct.31 '19, my pics

At street level this tower would look cool but I doubt you'd be able to see it from the distance since it 'd be hidden by other taller buildings.

Hope there will be some kind of observation deck up there, in the renders it shows people standing on the glass floor looking down at the street level.

Back