400 West Georgia Street | 91.74m | 24s | Westbank | Merrick Architecture

20190903_171955.jpg

20190903_172539.jpg

The construction of this project is different from most towers under construction thats finish the middle column first rather than going up floor by floor.

Not really. Many projects being constructed have their cores being constructed at a different pace than/independently from the rest of the building. It's just usually not this noticeable.

I have been taking construction photos every week in the last 10 years in metro Vancouver area but this is the first time I saw the obvious tall core in the center, I might need my eye sight checked then.

I know I can google but for the conversation sake and it seems you're very knowledgeable in this area, may I ask you why some towers use steel construction such as this one in Winnipeg instead of concrete ? Would it be related to the earthquake zone we are in?

WpG_GuY;161726994 said:

That question gets asked a lot. It used to be that towers built in Eastern North America used steel more, as it was easier to source, and towers i the western North america used concrete for the same reason. These days I don't know, it seems to be a toss up.
I know I can google but for the conversation sake and it seems you're very knowledgeable in this area, may I ask you why some towers use steel construction such as this one in Winnipeg instead of concrete ? Would it be related to the earthquake zone we are in?

That question gets asked a lot. It used to be that towers built in Eastern North America used steel more, as it was easier to source, and towers i the western North america used concrete for the same reason. These days I don't know, it seems to be a toss up.

Steel construction is also typically faster than concrete, which can be a major factor with large office towers, as you are typically taking out large loans to finance construction. The sooner you can get spaces leased, the less interest you will have to pay, and the sooner you will have an income stream.

I always assumed that steel was more expensive to use in Vancouver since there aren't any local steel mills.
That said, some older buildings are steel frame -
#rd Hotel Vancouver
Old Main Post Office
TD Tower and the other older buildings at Pacific Centre (but that could be an eastern bias as it was built by Fairview Corporation (predecessor to Cadillac Fairview).

Back