1698 West Georgia Street | 99m | 33s | Anthem | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Sorry, this isn't specific to this thread, but I wanted to say that it's hard to gauge the level of construction in Vancouver. On the one hand, Emporis shows 18 highrises under construction, which is good for North America, but it pales in comparison to Toronto's 231. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that figure is specific to Vancouver city proper, which is only about 100sq km, compared to Toronto's 600+ sq km.

I guess my question is: does anyone have a good resource to compare apples to apples? Is the idea that Vancouver is experiencing a construction boom only subjective or is there an objective truth to it? Thanks in advance!

I myself never use Emporis as a guide to get info of skyscrapers, I found its data and especially the photos are terribly outdated. Before I even joined any skyscrapers forums I visited that site on a regular basic to see the construction progress of Shangri La hotel in Vancouver, but I kept seeing the same images for a month or two before they finally got updated, so I decided to visit the construction site and took the photos myself.

The best way to compare the two cities is to use their metro area rather than the city itself, but unfortunately there is no reliable source I can find so far, but my estimation of the number of highrise construction in the great Vancouver area is between 60 and 100. Toronto always has more than Vancouver simply due to it has a much bigger metro region.

I myself never use Emporis as a guide to get info of skyscrapers, I found its data and especially the photos are terribly outdated. Before I even joined any skyscrapers forums I visited that site on a regular basic to see the construction progress of Shangri La hotel in Vancouver, but I kept seeing the same images for a month or two before they finally got updated, so I decided to visit the construction site and took the photos myself.

The best way to compare the two cities is to use their metro area rather than the city itself, but unfortunately there is no reliable source I can find so far, but my estimation of the number of highrise construction in the great Vancouver area is between 60 and 100. Toronto always has more than Vancouver simply due to it has a much bigger metro region.

Thanks for this. I ended up finding something related in another forum, and I was astounded to see just how many 100+m buildings Vancouver is building (3rd in North America, after Toronto and NYC). I guess that answers my question; Vancouver is OBJECTIVELY building a huge amount of highrises, it's not just a perception. Link to said thread: Best Anglo-Saxon skylines thread ( USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and UK )

Thanks for this. I ended up finding something related in another forum, and I was astounded to see just how many 100+m buildings Vancouver is building (3rd in North America, after Toronto and NYC). I guess that answers my question; Vancouver is OBJECTIVELY building a huge amount of highrises, it's not just a perception. Link to said thread: Best Anglo-Saxon skylines thread ( USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and UK )

Haha, I was the one created that thread in SSC (my username is Yellow Fever) and I did read isaidso's post , according to the data he provided the number of highrises under construction is obviously within the city limit and not the metro area and therefore you see Toronto has 117 while there is only 32 in Vancouver. If we include other cities in the metro region, in Burnaby alone I could count at least 20 highrise construction sites easily.
Actually, the easiest way to find out how many highrise construction in metro Vancouver is count how many highrise construction threads we have here, we might not have 100 percent coverage but at least you would have a rough idea.

Last edited:
Haha, I was the one created that thread in SSC (my username is Yellow Fever) and I did read isaidso's post , according to the data he provided the number of highrises under construction is obviously within the city limit and not the metro area and therefore you see Toronto has 117 while there is only 32 in Vancouver. If we include other cities in the metro region, in Burnaby alone I could count at least 20 highrise construction sites easily.
Actually, the easiest way to find out how many highrise construction in metro Vancouver is count how many highrise construction threads we have here, we might not have 100 percent coverage but at least you would have a rough idea.

Thank you. I kind of figured that number might not be accurate, but it still gave me a rough idea of how active Vancouver's highrise construction landscape really is. For some reason, although I've heard anecdotally that there are many highrises under construction, I've only ever found numbers that put Vancouver far lower than active markets, such as Toronto, NYC, and even below places like Chicago and its neighbour Seattle. That list, regardless of the actual number, puts Vancouver at #3 in North America, which is pretty incredible. I don't doubt that the actual number is much higher, but it was nice to get that data to be able to compare to other North American cities.

P.S. I've seen your name before (city of rain, and yellow fever); you are really active on the city forums and represent your city really well. Vancouver is lucky to have you! Take care :)

Thanks for your kind words, taking photos of skyscrapers is my passion, so I don't mind keep doing it until one day when my hands tremor too much that I need to retire. ;)

Back